Mwnt beach is a sheltered sandy cove, owned by the National Trust. This popular beach is off the beaten track but can still get busy in the height of summer. The single track road leads over a cattle grid as the view opens up below over Cardigan Bay. The steep steps leading to the beach make it unsuitable for pushchairs or wheelchairs, but the refreshment booth can still be reached. There is parking in a field above the beach. Although swimming conditions are considered safe at Mwnt but there is no lifeguard service here. A well-trodden path circles Foel y Mwnt, leading to the top of the hill which overlooks the beach. The circular walk from Cardigan or Mwnt is part of the Wales coast path which passes along the cliff behind Mwnt beach.
The tiny white church is thought to be 14th century though the font could well be 12th or 13th century above the beach at Mwnt. It provides a useful landmark on the coast path and the path to the top of the hill passes alongside it. The interior is simple and peaceful and well worth a visit.
Facilities at Mwnt Beach
|Type of Beach
|Toilet + Disabled
|Booth serving food
National Trust Beach
**Seasonal food and drinks are available.
Caban Mwnt kiosk is seasonal please check opening hours on their FaceBook page. facebook.com/Mwntkiosk
* Dogs are prohibited from sections of certain beaches between 1st May and 30th September under the local bylaw. The restrictions do not apply to a guide dog accompanying a registered blind person.
Where to stay near Mwnt
- Poppit Sands Caravan Park
- Over the Rainbow Cardigan
- Mwnt Holiday Cottages Cardigan
- Ysgubor Hen Holiday Cottage St Dogmaels
- Quay Street Studios Cardigan
- Troedyrhiw Five Star Holiday Cottages Cardigan
- Morfa Isaf Farm Guesthouse Llangrannog
- Morfa Isaf Farm Cottage Llangrannog
- Trenewydd Farm Holiday Cottages
- Penwern Fach Holiday Cottages Cenarth
- Dechrau Newydd Ferwig nr Cardigan
- The Cwtch Cilgerran