Penbryn is owned by the National Trust. The beach is almost a mile in length. There is a turning circle and dropping off point at the beach edge for disabled visitors, which should be kept clear for any emergency vehicles. Penbryn is about 9 miles north of Cardigan. There is a car park on Llanborth Farm as you arrive, some 400 metres from the beach. The National Trust charge a small fee for parking.
There’s also The Plwmp Tart café and shop here with outdoor and indoor seating. The walk down to the beach is either on the lane, or follow the footpath signs from the back of the car park [behind the café] which takes you into a beautiful wooded valley, full of wood anemones in the spring. This shady path suddenly opens up to the wide expanse of the beach and the sound of the waves, a lovely approach to the beach.
As you walk on to Penbryn beach, particularly if the tide is low, you can explore the cave at the far right hand side of the beach, and at very low tide, go round this headland to a very quiet and large sandy beach – but beware – there is no other way to leave this sandy cove, so check the tide tables before exploring far (Aberporth tide table will be closest). The walk from Penbryn to Llangrannog which starts from the car park takes you along some of the most beautiful stretches of the Cardigan Bay coast, past Morfa Cove and ending up in the holiday village of Llangrannog.
Facilities at Penbryn Beach
|Awards||Green Coast & Seaside||Bathing||Yes|
|Type of Beach||Sandy||Café||Yes|
|Car Park||Yes||Sea Angling||Yes|
|Toilet||At car park||Dogs||No*|
National Trust Beach
* Dogs are prohibited from sections of certain beaches between 1st May and 30th September under the local byelaw. The restrictions do not apply to a guide dog accompanying a registered blind person.
Where to stay near Penbryn
- Morfa Isaf Farm Cottage Llangrannog
- Morfa Isaf Farm Guesthouse Llangrannog
- Delyn Aur Tresaith Holiday Cottage
- Felin Geri Luxury Safari Tents
- Golygfa Mor Tresaith Holiday Property
- Brynawelon Touring and Camping Park Llangrannog
- The Beach House Carreg Las Tresaith
- Maes Glas Caravan Park Llangrannog
- Clifftop Railway Carriage Aberporth