Poppit Sands is a sandy beach on the west coast of Wales, backed with sand dunes at the mouth of the Teifi Estuary. It is a blue flag bathing beach making it an ideal holiday location. Lifeguards patrol the beach between July and August from 10.00 – 6.00 each day. It is also the start of the Pembrokeshire coastal path to Amroth which is 180 miles away. Poppit Sands is the closest beach to Cardigan town and St. Dogmaels with level access [the other nearby beach is Mwnt Beach is accessed down a flight of steps]
Directions: From Cardigan bypass take the exit to Cardigan and follow the signs for St.Dogmaels [a small road by The Fusion Inn (previously the Eagle) behind the Fforest Cafe on the River Teifi]. Follow the road through St.Dogmaels as it turns right along by the Ferry Inn and continue to the National Trust Car Park at the mouth of the Teifi. Cardigan youth hostel is situated further along this road up the hill above the beach.
Power Kiting is a rapidly growing sport. Whether its buggying, land boarding, kite boarding or just Power kiting Poppit Sands Beach is a perfect location. With almost 1/2 a mile of beach to play with it means there is room for everyone, the high tide line due to the beach being at the mouth of the River Teifi means there is lots of hard sand for buggiers and boarders.
There is a permanent Life Guard station for peace of mind and during summer months a cafe set just off the beach. The Webley hotel just before Poppit Sands, and The Ferry Inn in St Dogmaels serve food.
Facilities at Poppit Sands Beach
|Type of Beach||Sandy + Dunes||Café||Yes|
|Car Park||Yes||Sea Angling||Yes|
|Disabled Access||Yes + beach wheelchairs||Pub serving food||Nearby|
Beach Wheelchairs are available for hire from the Poppit Sands Beach Cafe during the summer season. Tel: 01239 623530. Email: email@example.com.
* Dogs are prohibited from sections of certain beaches between 1st May and 30th September under the local bylaw. The restrictions do not apply to a guide dog accompanying a registered blind person.
There is a circular walk exploring St. Dogmaels and the headland behind Poppit Beach. and a circular bike ride around St. Dogmaels and the lanes above Poppit Sands
The sand dunes have a wide range of wild flowers such as the Common Spotted Orchid
Where to stay near Poppit Sands
- Ysgubor Hen Holiday Cottage St Dogmaels
- Poppit Sands Holiday Park Cardigan
- Five bed-roomed holiday farmhouse
- Mwnt Holiday Cottages Cardigan
- Gwynfro Guest House near Mwnt beach Cardigan
- Penwern Fach Holiday Cottages Cenarth
- Blaenwaun Caravan Park Mwnt Cardigan
- Brongwyn Holiday Cottages Cardigan
- Over the Rainbow Cardigan
- Rosehill Farm Holiday Cottages Cardigan
- Large house with Pool – Y Dorlan Cardigan
- Sandbank – Gwbert Holiday Cottages Gwbert